TOU/2 - 2012

Brent and I had the opportunity to run the Top of Utah half marathon this past Saturday. It turned out to be a great day for a run. Temperatures were quite chilly up the canyon but ended up being almost perfect once we got going and at the finish line.

This is a big race and it fills up fast. We had to register back in March in order to make sure we got a spot. There were approximately 2500 people registered to run and 2083 actually finished.

Brent did well and took 17 minutes off his previous 13.1 time. He felt good and finished strong. Here are his stats:
*Total time: 2:02:25
*Division place: 85 out of 134
*Gender place: 398 out of 656
*Overall place: 868 out of 2083

I have no pictures of us on race day, but here is a picture of our shirts, bibs and finishers medals.
I will admit, I was not looking forward to this race and almost wished I hadn't registered for it. I felt very unprepared and went into it expecting a poor performance. Due to my discovery of CrossFit a few months ago, I have focused less and less on running more on strength training. Which is not a bad thing, but I have felt like my speed and endurance have suffered.

I woke up Saturday morning not at all excited and not wanting to get out of bed. Brent and I headed to Zollinger Park to board a school bus that would take us up the canyon and I really didn't want to be there. At the start line, I just wanted to go home, I was regretting the fact that I'd signed up to be there. And, I was freezing.

The race started and I warmed up but I didn't feel good. My stomach felt unsettled for the first 4 miles and I just wanted to be done. I kept telling myself that this would be my last stint at the TOU/2, it's not my favorite race anyway. Then, at mile four I realized I was holding close to a 7-minute/mile pace (which I was not expecting)  and something just clicked and I felt really good. I finished those last 9 miles feeling strong and I never hit the wall. I did not set a PR but I did a lot better than I expected. These are my stats:
*Total time: 1:34:22
*Division place: 3 out of 333
*Gender place: 15 out of 1427 (There were lots more women running than men.)
*Overall place: 79 out of 2083
I will most likely be online in early March of 2013 registering for next year's race.

Comments

Julie and Nate said…
Seriously, Tami... that is amazing! I'm impressed at both you and Brent's races.

Popular posts from this blog

GiveAway!!

Parade

New House