Gospel Doctrine
I was called to teach Gospel Doctrine the first part of December. Although I love to teach, I was hesistant to accept the call, knowing that 2014 would focus on the Old Testament. I've never been a fan of the OT and I considered it to be overwhelming, confusing and very boring. After pondering for a couple of weeks, I accepted the call, despite my misgivings, and I can now say I am growing to love that part of the bible.
I do not have a fear of being in front of a group of people to speak. Any insecurities I had over teaching the adult Sunday School class was due to my lack of knowledge and understanding about the material I would be responsible to cover. I know that we are given callings to help us grow. I am definitely growing. I am intrigued by these ancient people and their stories. I am not only learning more detail about these prophets and their families that I did learn about while growing up, but I am discovering and making sense of the customs and practices of that time in history. It is fascinating. The cultural and historical insights are so interesting! I'm also learning how much I really don't know.....not that it's that big of a surprise.
I have never read the Old Testament cover to cover, and honestly, I probably never will but I think there are things in that ancient writ that Heavenly Father wants me to learn, which is why He gave me this calling; so I would be to forced to study. Otherwise, I never would have bothered. I do believe that the Lord gives us "assignments" that, as we strive to accomplish them, will help mold us into the beings He wants us to become.
I do not have a fear of being in front of a group of people to speak. Any insecurities I had over teaching the adult Sunday School class was due to my lack of knowledge and understanding about the material I would be responsible to cover. I know that we are given callings to help us grow. I am definitely growing. I am intrigued by these ancient people and their stories. I am not only learning more detail about these prophets and their families that I did learn about while growing up, but I am discovering and making sense of the customs and practices of that time in history. It is fascinating. The cultural and historical insights are so interesting! I'm also learning how much I really don't know.....not that it's that big of a surprise.
I have never read the Old Testament cover to cover, and honestly, I probably never will but I think there are things in that ancient writ that Heavenly Father wants me to learn, which is why He gave me this calling; so I would be to forced to study. Otherwise, I never would have bothered. I do believe that the Lord gives us "assignments" that, as we strive to accomplish them, will help mold us into the beings He wants us to become.
Comments