Why I Hate FHE
Monday is not my favorite day for many reasons. One of those reasons is the fact that I hate Family Home Evening. I don't hate my family and I don't hate spending time with them but I hate the formality of the evening; the scripture, prayer, lesson/activity and of course, everyone always expects a treat. All this piled on top of everything else that must be done on a school/week night. It's too busy and stressful. And really, we can only justify game/movie night so many times. Every Monday afternoon I find myself hoping against hope that the kids will forget that it's family night. They don't.
For some reason, I suppose it's the Adversary working on us, when we make an effort to have a lesson, there is always so much contention leading up to that point. It never fails, somebody doesn't like what I fixed for dinner and that child sits at the table WAY too long complaining and whining because he/she knows there are no treats at our house if one does not eat one's dinner.
Then there is the issue of hurrying through homework, chores and baths so we can maintain an appropriate bedtime. Someone always drags their feet through these processes as well. And, it never fails, somebody always ends up mad or in tears and refuses to participate.
If it were up to me, this is one thing we would not do on a regular basis. But alas, my husband (and kids) are better than me so we do it. But I hate it.
For some reason, I suppose it's the Adversary working on us, when we make an effort to have a lesson, there is always so much contention leading up to that point. It never fails, somebody doesn't like what I fixed for dinner and that child sits at the table WAY too long complaining and whining because he/she knows there are no treats at our house if one does not eat one's dinner.
Then there is the issue of hurrying through homework, chores and baths so we can maintain an appropriate bedtime. Someone always drags their feet through these processes as well. And, it never fails, somebody always ends up mad or in tears and refuses to participate.
If it were up to me, this is one thing we would not do on a regular basis. But alas, my husband (and kids) are better than me so we do it. But I hate it.
Comments